Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Update on last night....

First of all, please allow me to apologize for my little 'outburst' at the end of last night's post. I was frustrated and didn't mean to come across as harshly as I believe I did. I realize that each individual family has it's own parenting style, and what works for one family may not work for another -- just as what works for one child may not work for another within the same family. That being said, please allow my husband and me to grow and evolve our own parenting style that works for our family without criticizing the choices that we have made or are making. Please trust that we do not take our occupation as parents lightly and are trying to be the best parents that we can be and are constantly striving to improve and better (was that redundant?) our parenting. Criticism is not helpful and only serves to distance us from the criticizer. I think it is safe to say that is the last thing any of us want. Helpful advice, however, is not to be confused with criticism and is welcomed unless it becomes overbearing. *Please don't think that by writing any of this that I am writing this to anyone in particular...I'm simply trying to write out my thoughts.*

Now, for my update on last night....

I ended up trying for three hours to get Peanut Butter Cup to fall asleep in his crib without any success. My husband (who is currently on a night schedule), gave it a try when he got home (also without any success) and so we decided to just go ahead and swaddle him again. Oh blessed relief! After he was swaddled and fed one more time my husband set Peanut Butter Cup down in his crib, where he fussed for maybe 10-15 seconds and then promptly fell back asleep. Praise be to God!

We've since decided to hold off on unswaddling him at night until he is beyond teething as right now having those two things thrown at him at once may just be adding insult to injury. We definitely don't want to compound any discomfort he may be experiencing by removing the comfort and coziness he has when he is swaddled.

Tonight when I put him down he didn't even wake up (and he was in bed just after 8:30 woo-hoo!). Such a huge difference (and relief!) compared to the past couple of nights! Despite the fact that we are eventually going to have to 'break him' of the swaddling (and who knows if given the chance if he would eventually wean himself of it sometime down the road), I highly recommend swaddling as it has definitely helped my little one to sleep better at night (I've never swaddled him for naps, but I know that many parents do). After he outgrew his blankets that we were using to swaddle him we transitioned to the Kiddopotamus SwaddleMe (see picture below) and it has been amazing. It works very well and has been an awesome tool in getting our little one to sleep at night.

 
Well, I guess I'd better take this opportunity to get some sleep before Peanut Butter Cup wakes up and wants to eat. Have a goodnight!

No comments:

Post a Comment