Monday, March 5, 2012

Introducing Sasha

Handsome (albeit somewhat dirty, ha ha) boy.
 So, I know what those of you that have been following my blog for the past couple of years may be thinking. . ."What--ANOTHER dog?!"

Big stretch!
Well, in our defense, it's been really HARD finding the right dog.

Apparently someone else likes to eat snow too. =p
 Though I'm still not 100% sure that Sasha is that dog, I'm giving him a chance to become that dog (he needs training and a LOT of patience).

I LOVE the background in these next couple of shots!
 We got him from a German Shepherd Rescue--yep, you read that right: he's a White German Shepherd Dog--back in early December.

The snow on his nose makes me smile. =)
 He came from a home in Tennessee that couldn't keep him anymore. We were told that he is a little over 1 1/2 years old (so he's still got a puppy mentality in a lot of aspects).

He was having a blast in the snow.
 He is a little too curious/hyper about the cats at the moment so I can't let him free roam the house now that the cats are out and about. That is one 'issue' we are going to have to work on. . .it's just hard to do it without my hubby here to help.

Ready to spring again. =)
 Oh, and he jumps the fence (and then runs for the hills, ha ha)--hence the reason why he is tied out in the yard. I am going to get an invisible fence for him so we don't have to have him tied whenever he is outside.

I was happy he liked the snow as much as the rest of us do--at least in that aspect he fits right in!
He had really bad separation anxiety when we first got him and would destroy stuff if left alone for (literally) even a minute. We got a crate and crate trained him so he wouldn't be alone unsupervised if we had to leave the house or if he had to be in a different room for a while. At first he didn't like the crate (I can't say I blame him since it was entirely new to him) but now he chooses to go in there quite often. It really has become his 'den/safe spot'.  =)

I thought this one's perspective was kind of funny.
So, even though he can be really frustrating a lot of times, he seems to fit in somehow and I think with some training coupled with a lot of dedication and patience, he just might be the right dog.


Photobucket

4 comments:

  1. Soooo...I'm a little behind on reading everybody's blogs, so I'm just now catching up on your last several posts. Oh my goodness, your pictures are GORGEOUS! All those pictures of the heavy snowfall are amazing, and Rafe is as cute as ever. And I really want to come meet Sasha! What a handsome fella! Your pictures of him are so striking. Wow!

    I miss seeing you and Rafe!!! We need to get together sometime soon! I've been out of town so much lately, but I think I'm home for a while now. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Stacey! You're very sweet! Sasha is a little bit 'over-enthusiastic' about new people currently, ha ha. I have a LOT of work to do with him. . .it's never a good thing to have a 70 lb. dog want to launch himself at anyone. =p

      I miss being at church. . . it seems like every time the hubby and I haven't gotten to Skype in a while the biggest chance of doing so falls on a Sunday morning--and considering it takes me about 50 minutes to get to and from church I would never be able to go and then make it back home in time. It's hard to pass up a chance to Skype with the hubby when we never can predict when the next chance we might get will be. =/

      Delete
  2. Wow! What a beautiful dog. We have a English Black Lab. He took a lot of training too, but is coming along. He about two years old! Dogs are fun,and when you have the acreage for it, it makes it really fun. Our dog has free run of about 30 acres ( maybe more;), of which we only own 5.

    Thanks for the post and the pictures.

    In Christ,

    Kayleen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kayleen! I agree--dogs are a lot of fun! I grew up with a Border Collie mix who was absolutely incredible (the perfect dog from day one--and we found him on the side of the road when he was about 6 months old!), it took me aback when I realized that perfect dogs like Petie weren't the norm, ha ha.

      It is true what you say about it being even better when the dogs have room to run! I grew up on a little over five acres but lived on mostly undeveloped wooded road and had a HUGE cow pasture on the other side of us--talk about doggie heaven!! =) I can't wait until we are situated like that again one day!

      Delete